A Brief Sketch of Awa Raj (A Royal Jadaun Rajput Family of Awagarh) in Jaleshar Pargana of Etah District In U P.

A Brief Sketch of Awa Raj (A Royal Jadaun Rajput Family of Awagarh) in Jaleshar Pargana of Etah District In U P.

Awa -Estate —

A large estate situated in districts of Etah ,Aligarh ,Mainpuri ,Agra ,Farrukhabad and Muttra of United Provinces,with an area of 350 square miles .The most part it is Usar plain irrigated by canals and wells with some strips of khader .The land revenue payable to Government in 1903 -4 was 3 -3lakhs ,and cesses amounted to Rs .51,000 ;the rent -roll was 7 -3 lakhs .A small area in Muttra district was revenue -free .This estate was the second biggest estate in U P till India became a demacratic country .Awa  -Raja of Jaleshar in Etah  was the head of Jadaun clan in the North -West Provinces .Raja held property in Etah ,Marhera , S onhar ,Patiali ,Soron Pargan  Etah. Raja of Awa represent the enterprenuil class of Rajas of later Era ,who by dint of their diligence and intelligence became the magnate in 1880 .The Raja of Awa was one of the wealthiest landed proprietors in the whole of Upper India by paying about 375000 in revenue.Awa family was more money -lander and always proved severe and grasping landlords.Traditionaly ,the Royals of Awagarh have been modest and magnanimous without  a show of pomp and pageantry.There has always been religious devotion and inclination towards promoting various forms of arts.

The Earliest Founder of the Awa -Misa (Awagarh ) Family—-

The ruling family of Awa Misa ( Awagarh )is Royal Jadaun Rajput ,in the Mathura district ,has gained for itself a high position ,and the Taluqdar ,or head man ,says Elliot. S.H .M ,now lays claim to a direct descent from Raja Anand pal ,the son of the Karauli Raja  Kumar Pal migrated from Bayana /Timangarh in 14th century and settled at Nari -Semri  in Chhata Pargana of Muttra District . (In 1196 AD Muhammed Gori and his general Kutbuddin Abaik captured the whole of jadaun territory and Raja Kumar Pal was also failed in apossing Gori who took possession of Bayana and Timangarh  for a period of about 130 years from 1196 to 1327 A D .The chronology of this line was uncertain .It seems that this period was marked by disorder and decline of this denasty according to the report of Elliot and Dowson old historions.The same reports were provided by  Conningham in 1882 -83.According to him when Muhmad Gori captured Bayana and Tahangarh or Timangarh many of Jadaun families dispersed and settled wherever they could find a home.).The migration of raja Anandpal son of raja kunwarpal of Bayana /Timangarh (Karauli )from Bayana to Nari in Chhata Pargana of Muttra district was reported by many Indian historians in their books of rajput history .

Pedigree of Awa Family from Timangarh to Nari Village (Chhata Pargna of Mathura district)—-
Raja Kunwar pal of Timangarh has three sons AjayaPal ,Anand Pal ,Kayam pal /MohanPal.Anand Pal migrated from Timangarh  to Bindraban after capture of Bayana /Tahangarh or Muhammadn rule in this area of jadon dynasty.pedigree is as follows—

Founder of Nari Family of Jadon

Nari(Chhata Pargana ) Family–—1-Anand Pal –2-Nil Pal (adopted ) –3-Aswa Pal –4-Hira Pal –5-Bahadur Pal —6-Ram Pal –7-Raj Pal —8-Naurang  Pal –9 -Paras Ram Pal –10-Mitra Pal —11-Gayan Pal —12-Bhikham Pal —13-Kesho Pal —-14-Sukhdeo Pal —15-Thakur Chhattarbhuj Singh

Migration of Decendants of Raja Anand Pal  from Nari (  Chhata Pargana) to Jalesar Pargana  in Muttra district ——-

Founder of Awa Family –Thakur Chhattarbhuj Singh of Nari Village —-
 
The Awa Jacobs are not of the bluest blood and the family is of recent origin.Their history  begins only in the reign of Muhammad  Shah in the early part of the eighteenth century (1720–1748 A.D )when Thakur Chaturbhuj Singh ,a Jadon Rajput Zamindar of Nari in Chhata Pargana in Muttra district ,came and settled at Jalesar and was employed by the local  governor in the professional capacity of a physician or Baid who in gratitude for his services presented to him the village Misa ,about two miles from Awa ,which subsequently gave its name to the Awa -Misa Taluka .The Pargana Jalesar and Awa -Misa were transferred to the newly created districts Sadabad that time known as Muttra in 1824 .Moreover 1874 ,the Jalesar Pargana was transferred to Etah district .
Thakur Chaturbhuj Singh has two sons –1-Bijay Singh  and 2-Harikishan Singh .

Thakur Bijay Singh —

Bijay Singh son of  Thakur Chaturbhuj Singh ,for a short period also followed the vocation of his father ,but was afterwards appointed to a small military command .The jadon zamindars of some adjacent villages ,having become  involved in pecuniary difficulties ,were assisted by Chaturbhuj Singh ,now become a wealthy man ,and his son ,themselves also members of the jadon clan .They thus acquired considerable local influence ,which was further extended by Bijay Singh’s eldest son Bhakt Singh.

Thakur Bijay Singh  had 5 sons  —
1- Thakur Bhakt Singh (eldest )
2-Thakur Ranjit Singh
3-Thakur Khusal Singh
4-Thakur Ratan Singh ,
5-Thakur Jawahir Singh

Thakur Bhakt Singh —-

1-Thakur Bhakt Singh had two sons —

A-Thakur Hira Singh.
B-Thakur Moti Singh

2- Thakur Ranjeet Singh had two sons –

A-Thakur Dleep Singh
B-Thakur Neelkanth Singh .

A-Thakur Dileep Singh had one son -Thakur Umrao Singh .Thakur Umrao Singh had three sons —
1-Baldev Singh
2-Balwant Singh
3-Bhojraj Singh

B-Thakur Neelkanth Singh had also one son Thakur Prithi Singh  .

Thakur Bakht Singh was for a time in the service  of Jawahar Singh ,Maharaja of Bhartpur and also lent some support to Thakur Bahadur Singh of Umargarh ,from whom he received a grant of village of Misa .A number of other villages (53villages ),belonging to different  jadon rajput clan ,also passed into his hands ;General Peron who held Jalesar as his own fief the time geanted a peroetual lease of these villages at a yearly net demand of Rs.50000 and was further granted nankar vullages to the total value of Rs.7776 and 337 Bighas of Sir land in Pilkhatra .At the same time Madho Rao Sindia bestowed on him ,rent -free and in peroetuity 2542 Bighas of Sir land in the villages of Awa ,Birnagar ,punehra ,Nuh ,Jinaoli and Barha Bhundela and he received another similar patch of land in Pilkathra .  He under a sanad from Marhattas ,  made Awa his Head -quarters and finally he obtained a sanad from the Marahttas authoeizing him to build a fort at Awa.This was simply a garhi with a circuit of mud walls.There he maintained his position with the help of a large body of  freebooting Mewatis , whom he settled about Awa , where their descendents still exist .He was  , in these troubled times , practically an independent chieftain  ,  and had an equivocal reputation as a receiver of stolen property .He was,  however, probably no worse than any of his neighbours .Bhakt Singh  died sometime before the British conquest and was succeeded by his elder son ,Thakur Hira Singh.

Thakur Hira Singh —–

Thakur Hira Singh who completed the building of Awa Fort in 1803 .At the time of the beginning of the British rule he was in possession of 57 villages .He co -operated with Mr .Graham Mercer ,the Governor General’s Agent with Lord Lake’s army, Hira Singh exerted himself to provide supplies  ,and in return for his survices  received a sanad from Lord Lake  confirming him in his Taluqa as a loyal adherent of the Government .He continued to help the British army in the compaign against Holkar and received a further grant of some more villages as a reward . He also received two separate sanades from the Governor General in Council concluding with him an istimarari settlement of the villages in his possession and of the Taluqa of Kotila in the Agra District.
Thakur Hira Singh died in 1831 and was succeeded by his son Pitambar Singh.

Thakur Pitambar Singh—

Th.Pitambar Singh who acquired the title of “Raja “by the Maharana of Udaipur (Hindupat of Hindu )and was recognised as Raja by the then Governor General ,Lord Auckland in 1839 in the following terms “Sanad granted by the Right Honourable the Governor -General of India to Raja Pitambar Singh ,Taluqadar of Awa conferring on him the title of Raja dated 30th December 1839 .During his time Kotila was restored to the family to which it belonged earlier . Pitambar Singh was a man of great ability , and continued to increase and improves his property .Raja Pitambar Singh had no son by any of his wives ,–5 Ranis 1-Rathod ji ,2- Maharani Raghu Selan ji (Daughter of Raja of Sarguja ),3-Chauhanji (Daughter of the Nimrana Rajputana ) 4-Solankinji and 5-Sikarwaranji .but had only one daughter Janki Kumariji who was married to Maharaja Jagmandal Singh of Radhogarh who was a Khichchi Chauhan Rajput Chief in the Gwaliar territory . Raja Pitambar Singh died in November ,1845 .Leaving a will by which he adopted as his heir his nephew ,Kunwar Pirthi Singh .On his death  ,there were some disputes about the property , but the Board of Revenue  , by their order dated Ist July , 1846 , finally recognised Kunwar Pirthi Singh  as Raja under the guardianship of Kunwar Lal Pokh Pal Singh , brother of the late raja , Pitambar Singh .

Raja Pirthi Singh —-

He was an able administrator , and acquired g
reat wealth by money -lending and speculating in Indigo.
The Raja Pirthi Singh continued to be loyal during the troubled period of 1857 and on the advice of Mr Calvin was given charge of the Pargana of Jalesar.He restored order in the entire area ,collected the revenue and remitted it to Agra .Moreover in 1874 ,the Jalesar Pargana was transferred to Etah District . Raja Pirthi Singh  of Awa also take -over of the Husain and Daryapur Talukas  from the Porach Rajput family  and the greater portion of the Bijaigarh Taluka ,which belonged to the Pundir Rajput .He also purchased other valuable properties .The Awa family was more money Landers than landholders and have always proved severe and grasping landlords .They were known the largest single owners in the Sikandra Rao  Tahsil.In that time Raja Prithi Singh ,was one of the wealthiest landed proprietors in the whole of Upper India paying about Rs.375,000 in revenue . Had his life been spared ,he would have doubtless carried out his intention of extending his estate from the bank’s of the Jamuna to the Ganges.

Raja Prithi Singh had two Ranis .One was the daughter of the Bais Rajput and other was Sisondhini Nepal Princesses who were exiled after Jang Bahadur’s successful conspiracy., daughter of Raja Ravindra Bikram Singh of Nepal who for the sake of avoiding family quarells came down to Kashi (a sacred place of pilgrimage )and passed his last days in the worship of God .Raja Prithi Singh died on 31st July ,1876 .Both these Ranis are dead.The rani Sisondhini died at Benares on 23rd january ,1880 ,leaving one son ,the raja Chhatarpal Singh ,who is the sole heir to the estate .He at that time lives at Benares under the charge of his maternal grandmother  ,the rani Sri-ran-Indra Rajai Lakhshmi Devi .He was born 12th August ,1874 and was died in 1884.The estate was taken under the Court of Wards.After some time the estate was then released in favour of Raja Baldev Singh (cousin of raja Chhatra Pal Singh and son of Thakur Umrao Singh ).

Raja Baldev Singh —

He died childless on March 8 ,1892 and was succeeded by his younger brother Raja Balwant Singh . Bhoj Raj Singh was  brother of raja Balwant Singh and   youngest son of Thakur Umrao Singh  .

Raja Balwant Singh  —

He was born on September 21 ,1853 .The early years of his life were devoted to the development of a healthy and strong body ,which enabled him in latter years to acquire great fame and reputation as a man who could challenge professional wrestlers and could control elephants and bulls in their unruly state of mind.This ,however ,does not mean that he was in any way less intelligent than the literate persons .He had a sharp intellect and an exceptional administrative capacity .He ascended the Gaddi in 1892 and he was married with Rani  Srimati Kalawati KumariSahiba who belong to Chhalesar Thikana  .He increased the size of his estate considerably and increased the net revenue from Rs. 7 or 8 lakhs to Rs. 13lakhs.For his able managment of the estate he was honoured by the Government in 1898 with the decoration of the title of the C .I .E.(Companion of the Indian Empire)with a golden mendal (motto )with the words Imeratricis Auspiciis for his excellent public services in the severe famine of 1897 and other occasions .
During the Vice -Royality of Lord Curzon Raja Balwant Singh was invited to attended the Delhi Darbar in 1902 ;he became a member of the Legislative Council of the United Provinces for two years under the Minto -Morley Reforms .Raja Sahib rendered great assistance in establishment ofAll India Kshatria Mahasabha.In 1897 Raja Balwant Singh of Awagarh took leadership in coordination with Thakur Umrao Singhji of Kotila Raj Priwar ,Raja Uday Pratap Singh of Bhinga in registering the Akhil Bhartiya Kshatriya Mahasabha on 19 october 1897 to initiate for the first time in the history of India of creating a plateform to promote the cause of Kshatriyas .They even proposed launching a news latter called “Rajput Monthly “on the 20 feb .1898 under the presidentship of Judge Babu Sanwal Singhji of Banaras.The Mahasabha had its first conference in the Rajput Boarding House at Agra .Thereafter  Maharaja Pratap Singhji of Jammu and Kashmir sponsored the launching of an Urdu Publication called the Rajput Gazette as a fortnightly from Lahore.It was edited by Thakur Sukh Ram Das Chauhan .Thereafter creating awareness through publicity and meetings in many parts of India were initiated .Most of all the Akhil Bhartiya Kshatriya Mahasabha has played a vital role in bringing about effective coordination between thousands of Kshatriyas Organisations at the Taluka and the District levels for grassroot involvement .Akhil Bhartiya Kshtrita Mahasabha founded by Raja Balwant Singh ji of Awagarh in on 19 Oct.1897.He also helped Ravindra Nath Tagore to setup of Shantiniketan.
Although Raja Sahib himself did not receive the benefit of education ,his deep interest in education was symbolised in the establishment of the Rajput School in 1899 ,  for English based education and upliftment of Rajputs of India with the active cooperation of late Pandit Madan Mohan Malviya and Thakur Umrao Singh of Kotila .Raja sahib donated Rs.15,00 ,000 ,besides land and buildings and an adjecent 50 Acre Farm for the establishment of the institution and Rajput Community given preference .  He died on 21st June 1909 ,leaving two minor sons –Raja Suraj Pal Singh (present Raja )and Rao Krishna Pal Singh ji and Rani Sahiba Shrimati Kalawati Kumari ji .Raja Suraj Pal Singh was borned on 28 Oct. 1896 .The estate was taken in possession by some ten gentleman who were the executor of a Will executed by the late Raja ,but their proved tobe injurious to the estate .The Rani Sahiba (mother of present Raja Suraj Pal Singh )represented to the Government ,all the actions of the executors ,leading to the ruin and distress of the estate and after a great deal of continuous efforts , She assured the Government that the Minor’s property can only remain safe under the shield of protection of the Court of Wards .It was on the 17th December 1910 ,the Court of Wards took charge of the minor Raja ‘s property and looks to allmanagemet. The minors are studying in Mayo College  ,Ajmer .After obtaining Chief ‘s Diploma Raja Suraj  Pal Singh ji assumed the charge of Awagarh Raj in 1917 .

1 –Raja Suraj Pal Singh —–

He married with Smt .Baleshuvri ji  ,daughter of Raja Sahib of Sarguja Estate  in 1913 . He had 3 sons .Yuvraj Digvijay Pal Singh ,Kunwar Dharm Pal Singh and Kunwar Yogendra Pal Singh ji .Raja Suraj Pal Singh ji modernized the administration of the estate by establishing different departments like administration ,household ,stores ,buildings ,charity etc .  He  helped the Balwant Rajput Intermediate College by providing a generous donation of Rs .1,44,000 /_ in 1928 when school was raised to the status of an Intermediate College in Arts .He  also  helped generous by gave donation for Shanti Niketan ,Kishori Raman College ,Mathura.Raja Sahab never took the advantage of the ejectment provisions of the Tenancy Act and in the end when most of the Jamindars were selling surplus urban land and buildings ,woodlands and timber on the eve of Zamindari abolition ,Raja Sahab of Awagarh did not avail of this opportunity and passed on immovable property worth lakhs of rupees to the village societies (Gram -Sabhas )intact .

2- Rao Krishna Pal Singh –

He was the second illustrious son of late Raja Balwant Singh ji was borned on monday on 28 th August 1899at Awagarh.He obtained education from Meyo College Ajmer and Agric Diploma from Naini at Allahabad .He was married with Smt .Darshan Kumari ji  daughter of Rana Raghunath Chand of Mahilok Rajya in Simla Hill Estate in1918 .
He had two daughters.The eldest is Rajkumari  Indra Kumari ji married with Maharaja Praduman Singh ji ,younger brother of His Highness the Maharaja of Dungarpur in Rajasthan .and younger daughter Rajkumari Laxmi Kumari married with a rajkumar of Nepal .

Rao Sahib was member of the U P  Lagislative Assembly in 1930 .In British time he was M .L .C for a long time and from 1962 to 1967 he was the member of Loke Sabha.He was died on 24 Jan .1975 in Mathura.In

Details  of Family Members of Late Raja Suraj Pal Singh ji of Awagarh.

Raja Suraj Pal Singh had 3 sons —

1– Raja Digvijay Pal Singh

.He was elder son of Raja Suraj Pal Singh , married with Smt. Anant Kumari ji daughter of Raja Sahib of Rajgarh estate in M P.He has two sons Rajkumar Paushlendra pal Singh and Rajkumar Anirudh Pal Singh ji.Anirudh Pal Singh ji married with Rani Anjali Kumari ji daughter of Rai Sahib Ranvir Singh ji of Reh (Nurpur ) has one son Yuvraj Ambrish Pal Singh and a daughter Rajkumari Ambika Kumari born on17Jan 1977 ,married with  Rajkumar Tusar Singh ji of Dumraon .Yuvraj Ambrish Pal Singh ji ,married with Rajkumari Arpita Singh ,daughter of Rana Hamir Singh ji of Amarkot .He has one son and one daughter .

2– Raja Dharm Pal Singh ji second son of late Raja Suraj Pal Singh ji  married with Smt .Laxmi Kumari ji second daughter of Raja Sahib of Rajgarh Estate in M P  has one son yuvraj Yadvendra Pal Singh ji.He married with Rani Shermishta Kumari ji daughter of Maharaja Bheem Singh ji of Arnod . Raja Yaduvendra Pal Singh ji has 2 sons ,Kunwar Chandra Pal Singh and Kunwar Bhumendra Pal Singh ji  and one daughter Rajkumari Padmini Kumari  ,she married with Kunwar Kamakshya Raj Singh ji of Chhota Udaipur ,Gujrat .Kunwar Chandra Pal Singh ji married with Rajkumari Vijeta of Sirsi near Guna M P .

3-Raja Yogendra Pal Singh ji third son of  late Raja Suraj Pal Singh ji married with Rani Satyawati Kumari ,daughter of Rawat Jai Singh ji  of Meja Estate in Bhilwara district in Rajasthan  has 5 sons .1-Kunwar Jitendra Pal Singh ji  married with Rajkumari Prabha Kanwar daughter of Rana Hari Singh ji of Tana .He has one son Kunwar Rishiraj Singh and a daughter Rajkumari Bhoomija Kumari . Kunwar Devendra Pal Singh  (2)has one son Jai Dev Singh , (3)-Yoogendra Pal Singh  has one son kunwar Kuldeep Singh   (4)-Khadgendra Pal Singh ,has no issue (5)-Kunwar Siddhendra Pal Singh ji has one son Kunwar Raghvendra Pal Singh .

The Awa Raj was also known for various developmental and cultural activities connected with the development of the breeds of cattle ,reclamation of Usar Lands and the patronage of Music and other fine arts .

The author is former student of Raja Balwant Singh College ,Bichpuri ,Agra in Deptt.of Agric Chemistry & Soil Science.

Author –Dr Dhirendra Singh Jadaun
Village -Larhota near Sasni
District -Hathras ,Uttar Pradesh.
Associate Professor in Agric.
National Media Prabhari
A.B.K.M (Wankaner).

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published.

Pin It on Pinterest

Translate »
error: Content is protected !!